detect file extension in if statment

kevinh81

I'm not fluent in php, but I think this should be an easy fix for someone who is.

Basically, I have a Wordpress theme that auto generates the images from posts in each slide of the feature slider on the homepage.

Goal: for php to remove the css border around the image if it is a .png file

Purpose: I want borders on photos in the feature slider, but no borders on images with transparent backgrounds... like free floating logos.

So I figured I could use an if/else statement to determine if the file has a .png extension... if it does then it inserts the html style to remove the border.

Here is the original code from the theme where it gets the image

<a href="<?php echo($arr[$i]["permalink"]); ?>" title="<?php printf(__('Permanent Link to %s', 'TheCorporation'), $arr[$i]["fulltitle"]) ?>">
<?php print_thumbnail($arr[$i]["thumb"], $arr[$i]["use_timthumb"], $arr[$i]["fulltitle"] , $width, $height, 'thumb'); ?>
</a>

Here is what I was trying to get to work.. I tried taking the variable for $file from the code I assumed was populating the image path

<?php

$file = `print_thumbnail($arr[$i]["thumb"]`;
$ext = `pathinfo($file, PATHINFO_EXTENSION)`;

?>

<a <?php if($ext == ".png")
                     echo ?>style="border:none 0px !important;" <?php ;
        else 
                     null;
?>
 href="<?php echo($arr[$i]["permalink"]); ?>" title="<?php printf(__('Permanent Link to %s', 'TheCorporation'), $arr[$i]["fulltitle"]) ?>">
	<?php print_thumbnail($arr[$i]["thumb"], $arr[$i]["use_timthumb"], $arr[$i]["fulltitle"] , $width, $height, 'thumb'); ?>
</a>

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I removed the backticks... then it was saying Unexpected ";" - after the variables... so i removed them... and now I get Unexpected T_VARIABLE for the line below

$ext = pathinfo($file, PATHINFO_EXTENSION)

So I guess I just don't really even know if my equation makes sense all together or not. If anyone can provide further help with this, thanks.

Is this a better approach? I feel like I'm a lot closer.

<?php

$filename = $arr[$i]["thumb"];
$file_extension = substr($filename , strrpos($filename , '. ') +1);

if (!function_exists('getext'))
{
function getext()
{
	if($file_extension == 'png')
	{
		return 'style="border:none 0 !important;';
	}
	else {
		null;
	}
}
}	
?>

<a <?php echo getext; ?> href="<?php echo($arr[$i]["permalink"]); ?>" title="<?php printf(__('Permanent Link to %s', 'TheCorporation'), $arr[$i]["fulltitle"]) ?>">
</a>

But it's just echoing getext.... not actually giving me the return. Thanks for any help.

I think one of my problems is that I don't think I'm pulling the image url properly... can anyone check this?

These are some variables in the file

$arr[$i]["title"] = truncate_title(50,false);
	$arr[$i]["title_small"] = truncate_title(25,false);

$arr[$i]["fulltitle"] = truncate_title(250,false);

$arr[$i]["excerpt"] = truncate_post(470,false);
	$arr[$i]["excerpt_small"] = truncate_post(80,false);

$arr[$i]["tagline"] = get_post_meta($post->ID, 'Tagline', $single = true);
	$arr[$i]["permalink"] = get_permalink();

$arr[$i]["thumbnail"] = get_thumbnail($width,$height,'thumb',$arr[$i]["fulltitle"],$arr[$i]["tagline"]);
	$arr[$i]["thumb"] = $arr[$i]["thumbnail"]["thumb"];
	$arr[$i]["thumbnail_small"] = get_thumbnail($width_small,$height_small,'',$arr[$i]["fulltitle"],$arr[$i]["tagline"]);
	$arr[$i]["thumb_small"] = $arr[$i]["thumbnail_small"]["thumb"];

$arr[$i]["use_timthumb"] = $arr[$i]["thumbnail"]["use_timthumb"];

And here again is the original php that calls the image link

<a href="<?php echo($arr[$i]["permalink"]); ?>" title="<?php printf(__('Permanent Link to %s', 'TheCorporation'), $arr[$i]["fulltitle"]) ?>">
</a>

Is anyone able to tell from this which part would return?

src="http://image.jpg"

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.