insert and update at same time and add ++

Lisa23

Hi i need to count the number items in an album now on the album i have create a field called count which counts the number items in that album

but now i dnt knw how to update those as soon insert a item in the table item

so i thought woul be possible to create a script that when insert data into item tables also update album table row count by adding one like update count with A now A equal row count ++1  any help on start of it if possible???/

i tried like this but did not work any help please

$sql = "INSERT INTO " .PHOTOS_TABLE. "
	(
		photo_name,
		photo_date,
		photo_proper,
		photo_size,
		album_id
	)
	VALUES
	(
		'" .addslashes($photo_name). "',
		" .time(). ",
		'" .addslashes($key_name). "',
		" .intval($size). ",
		" .$album. "
	)";

$update_query="UPDATE albums set $count=count+'1' WHERE $count=count"; // total will be updated to total+number of new puppies added.

mysql_query($update_query);

Hi i need to count the number items in an album now on the album i have create a field called count which counts the number items in that album

And why you want to do that?.... when a simple query counting the records in your photo_table while you are displaying the records from your album should do the job?

well each photos has an album id now if i count number photos in photos table how can i define count number of photo with id 1 and id 2 and id 3 then each one display on specific album like album digital number items 5 album media number item 7 how can i do that i know to caount all the items in the photo table bt how is gona diferentiate by the id number??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.