$ORGtext= file_get_contents('NewsID=$id');

how to write it correct

thanks

Not very secure?

What about?

//at least type cast it!

$id = (isset($_POST['id']) ? (int)$_POST['id'] : 0);

$ORGtext= file_get_contents('NewsID=$id');

Well when you submit a form there is a $_POST array generated, and if there is a value in the text box, that will be transmitted into the receiver script, so from there you can grab the ID number and use that to make the file_get_contents("path/to/file".$_POST['ID']."); dynamic  from that sort of arrangement.

BUT if you are going to do that, be aware that WHATEVER is sent through the $_POST array, php will interpret as a string, you would need to use either a preg_ function or ctype_digit() or even typecast the incoming var so that you can be certain that it is ONLY a numerical value that is being sent, personally though I would use a preg_ function as ctype_digit is a but lax IMO and your 'safer' using preg because you can be a lot more stricter with the conditional patterns.

Hope your not too confused now! I can't write it for you as it would take too much time up, and I couldn't guarantee it being functional as it would be typed OTF, so I would rather advise, not create!

Rw   

BUT if you are going to do that, be aware that WHATEVER is sent through the $_POST array, php will interpret as a string, you would need to use either a preg_ function or ctype_digit() or even typecast the incoming var so that you can be certain that it is ONLY a numerical value that is being sent, personally though I would use a preg_ function as ctype_digit is a but lax IMO and your 'safer' using preg because you can be a lot more stricter with the conditional patterns.

Thank you rwwd for the additional explanation. My example shows the need for using $_POST['id'] to set the $id variable (without the php error). To me it is unclear as to the value type of $id as manalnor didn't specify. There are cases were the post value should be a string so no type cast is needed since it will be a string. In either case, it is important to know what type of value you are expecting and validate all *used* $_POST values.

Thanks again

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.