Using file_get_contents for vote incentives

DayCoder

Hi, I run a top site which has incentives. Originally when a voter came and voted, the script in the background would run file() but I noticed that it sometimes lagged and caused the voter to wait a few secs before the page loads.

I was then told by a developer to use file_get_contents(), but I was getting the same results. It occasionally lagged, even on my own websites that are voting on it.

I decided to log the incentives now, and get a cron to check and process any incentives instead of the user lagging, but now it's starting to kill my server as you can see below

xxxxx.com 1.05 0.49 0.1

Top Process %CPU 77.2 php -q process_incentives.php

Top Process %CPU 24.0 php -q process_incentives.php

Top Process %CPU 8.0 php -q timers/5mins.php

xxxxx.com 0.99 0.13 0.0

Top Process %CPU 9.0 php -q timers/30mins.php

Top Process %CPU 7.0 php -q timers/5mins.php

Code in process_incentives.php

//REWARD VOTERS
$get = mysql_query("SELECT id,url FROM incentives ORDER BY id DESC limit 50;");
while ($game = mysql_fetch_array($get)){

file_get_contents("$game[url]");
  mysql_query("DELETE from incentives WHERE id='$game[id]'");

}

Yea, I'm not trying to get any content. I'm just trying to hit reward files, that webmasters set on their own servers to reward their voters when they vote.

Top site, websites come and submit their website.

They sometimes set a reward file in their account on my topsite, for my server to hit, when they send a voter over to vote.

if($vote){

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

if(!fetch("SELECT id FROM $tab[vote] WHERE game='$id' AND ip='$ip';")){
           mysql_query("INSERT INTO $tab[vote] (game,ip) VALUES ('$id','$ip');");
           mysql_query("UPDATE $tab[game] SET votes=votes+1, totalvotes=totalvotes+1 WHERE id='$id';");

if(($game[rewardscript]) && (!$no)){
             mysql_query("INSERT INTO incentives (url) VALUES ('$game[rewardscript]$REQUEST_URI');"); 
           }
          }
    elseif(($game['alwaysreward'] == 1) && ($game['rewardscript']) && (!$no)){
           mysql_query("INSERT INTO incentives (url) VALUES ('$game[rewardscript]$REQUEST_URI');"); 
          }
       header("Location: vote.php?id=$id&voted=1"); 
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.