Maximum string variable length in contact form?

pajhonka

Hi,

I have a Flash contact form that sends its name, e-mail, and message variables to a PHP script. The script works fine if the message is under ~700 characters, but anything more and the script won't post the message at all. An e-mail with just the name and e-mail address will come through to my inbox (which is embarrassing as a potential client sent me a contact form e-mail about a development job  :-[).

Is there some way to check the maximum character length for a string variable? Or to set its length to something higher?

This is my php. Thank you!!

<?

$senderName   = $_POST['userName'];
$senderEmail     = $_POST['userEmail'];
$senderMessage = $_POST['userMsg'];
$senderName   = stripslashes($senderName);
$senderMessage   = stripslashes($senderMessage); 
$senderMessage = strip_tags($senderMessage, '<p><br>');
$to = "kevin@kevinburkeportfolio.com";
$from = "email@kevinburkeportfolio.com";
$subject = "E-mail from $senderName";

$message = "<p><font size='2.5' face='Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Sans Serif'><b>FROM:</b> $senderName
<br><br>
<b>E-MAIL:</b> <a href='mailto:$senderEmail'>$senderEmail</a>
<br><br>
<b>MESSAGE:</b> $senderMessage</p>";

$headers = "From: $from\r\n";
$headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";
$to = "$to";
    mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

$my_msg = "Thanks $senderName, your message has been sent.";
    print "return_msg=$my_msg"; 

exit();
?>

The only limit, as far as php is concerned, is the amount of memory available. There are 'security' patches that could impose such limits and your web host might be using it/them.

Start by checking if your php script is receiving what you expect. Add the following to your php code -

echo "<pre>";
echo "POST:";
var_dump($_POST);
echo "</pre>";

Php does impose a maximum size of all the post data using the post_max_size setting (AFIAK exceeding this will result in an empty $_POST array, not simply data cut off at some point.) The default  post_max_size setting is 8M.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.