str_replace help

webready

Hello All,

I'm using php to auto-insert variables into a canonical url within the <head>.

Here is my code:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mysite.com/page.php?IT=<?php print $item; ?>&IT2=<?php print $desc; ?>" />

I used this to replace "+" with " ". <?php $desc  = str_replace ("+"," ",$desc); ?>

The problem is i use the variables in different sections of the page were I don't want the "+" to appear.

I only want the "+" to appear in the canonical url space.

I'm sure there is an easy way, but not for me :)

So to sum up: I want srt_replace code to be incorporated into the <?php print $desc; ?> code ONLY.

Thanks in advance for any help!

hehe np, i just make it more clear (i hope  ::))

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mysite.com/page.php?IT=<?php print $item; ?>&IT2=<?php echo str_replace ("+"," ",$desc); ?>" />

So just like i showed you I echo str_replace instead of assigning $desc again.

to explain that in more detail:

if you do this

$desc = str_replace  ("+"," ",$desc);  // here you are assiging $desc , and thus altering it's value

but if you do this:

echo str_replace  ("+"," ",$desc);  // you are just outputing the value of $desc, 
                                                 //but altering the output via str_replace instead 
                                               //of altering $desc, that way it keeps it's value to be used below like you wanted

Ok, I knew there would be something else :)

In some case I actually use "%2D" in my URL's were I want the. The "%2D" stays in the URL address bar. But, in the canonical URL, it shows a "+". Anyway to make sure the canonical version prints the "%2D" and not the decoded "+". I know, I'm crazy!

Thanks again :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.