Just spent an hour typing this code, getting a db query error for no reason!

jdock1

I spent the last hour or so typing this code up, and for some reason I am getting a query error. I have reviewed & revised the code up and down for the past half hour and can't seem to figure out the problem.

Can someone look after this for me and tell me what I could be doing wrong?

Yes, I know my code is a bit sloppy and may use bad practice techniques, but it works for me.

Its a survey that I coded so I could collect data and place it on CPA ad listings. So I need this so work at some point soon.

My code:

<?php
$user = $_POST['user'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$password = $_POST['pass'];
$paypal = $_POST['paypal'];
$q1 = $_POST['q1[favsite]'];
$q2 = $_POST['q2[isp]'];
$q21 = $_POST['q2.1[bill]'];
$email_services = $_POST['email_services'];
$ebay = $_POST['ebay'];
$amazon = $_POST['amazon'];
$q6 = $_POST['q6[purchase]'];
$q7 = $_POST['q7[social]'];
$q8 = $_POST['q8[bookmarks]'];
$q9 = $_POST['q9[search]'];
$q10 = $_POST['q10[homepage]'];
$q11 = $_POST['q11[5topsites]'];
$q12 = $_POST['q12[state]'];

if ($_POST['fin'] == "complete") 
{

$dbc = mysqli_connect('localhost', 'root', 'password', 'database')
     or die('Could not connect');
     $query = "INSERT INTO user_data (id, user, email, password, paypal, q1[favsite], q2[isp], q21[bill], email_services, ebay, amazon, q6[purchase], q7[social], q8[bookmarks],             q9[search], q10[homepage], q11[5topsites], q12[state]) VALUES ('$user', '$email', '$password', '$paypal', '$q1', '$q2', '$q21', '$email_services', '$ebay', '$amazon', '$q6', '$q7', '$q8', '$q9', '$q10', '$q11', '$q12')";       

mysqli_query($dbc,$query)
      or die('Error querying database');

include_once("../phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php");
$mail = new PHPMailer;
$mail->ClearAddresses();
$mail->AddAddress('', '');
$mail->From = '';
$mail->FromName = '';
$mail->Subject = 'Thanks for finishing the survey!';
$mail->Body = "Hello, $user. This is a reminder that you have finished the survey and your credit is currently 
being processed. Please login to your account at ../../ to view the status of your credit & cash out.
";
if ($mail->Send()) {
    echo "<center>Mail Sent.</center>";
} else {
    echo $mail->ErrorInfo;
}
echo "<center><h2>Thanks for completing the survey! Please <a href='login.php'>login</a> to your account to view the status of your credit & cash out.</h2></center>";
}
?>

It has nothing to do with PHPMailer, I of course edited the variables just now so all my info wouldnt be public, but everything is fine untill you press submit & I get the or die() error message "Error querying database".

What the hell did I do wrong? Is it possible that I cant name variables in the format I used with most of them ($var1 = $_POST['var[desc]']; ?

For debugging, you should be outputting mysqli_error() in your die() statements, in addition to echoing the query string.

mysqli_query($dbc,$query) or die( '<br>Query string: ' . $query . '<br>Produced error: ' . mysqli_error($dbc) );

Oh thanks! Forgot about that!

..... I get the or die() error message "Error querying database".

What the hell did I do wrong? Is it possible that I cant name variables in the format I used with most of them ($var1 = $_POST['var[desc]']; ?

Seems that you are using the wrong fields name here

INSERT INTO user_data (id, user, email, password, paypal, q1[favsite], q2[isp], q21[bill], email_services, ebay, amazon, q6[purchase], q7[social], q8[bookmarks]q9[search], q10[homepage], q11[5topsites], q12[state])

VALUES ('$user', '$email', '$password', '$paypal', '$q1', '$q2', '$q21', '$email_services', '$ebay', '$amazon', '$q6', '$q7', '$q8', '$q9', '$q10', '$q11', '$q12')";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.