Only display decimals if they're present

davidcriniti

Hi guys,

I've got a line of code that asks for a column called "distance_completed" to be displayed as part of a string.

This column tells users how far people have run in a running race.

I set up this field in my database to 11,3 so all distances appear with a decimal at the end, and then 3 digits after the decimal place.

How would I alter the code so that the numbers that don't have any information in the places section just appear as integers Eg: 42 instead of 42.000 (for someone who ran exaclty 42km) and those that do have information in the decimal places appear correctly (eg: if a person ran 42km and 195m, it would appear as 42.195).

I think this is probably the only line of code that would need modification:

echo ($row['time'] != null)?$row["time"]:"dnf at ".$row["distance_completed"]."km.";

...but I don't necessarily want to round it off. Eg: If the value was 42.195, I'm happy to keep it that 42.195.

I'd only like numbers changed when there is no information on the right-hand-side of the decimal.

Eg: If someone ran exactly 20km, I'd like to see 20      ....rather than 20.000

Not sure if this is possible or not?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.