header_location file serving question

optikalefx

im trying to play large files from under the webroot to an html5 video tag.  Nothing is working.

So i made a sym link to the folder and just header_location to the file.

and now when i tell html5 to play /video/play it works

but, when i open firebug net tab, i can see the requests are for the full URL to the video file, not the video/play that html5 is using.  Obviously because header_location will show the full path.

Is there any ways you guys think what im doing is possible? If not, how can i make it that the browser can play the video files, but the user can't go there directly in their browser?

The files always need to be publicly available in order for them to be served to a browser.

What you can do however is write a php script which can serve the files, this php file (as well as hiding the actual file location) can then also be used to check your users are logged in or whatever before allowing the files to be served.

A simple script might look like....

serve.php

if (isset($_GET['movie'])) {
    $$movie = $_GET['movie'];
    $expires = 60 * 60 * 24 * 3;
    $exp_gmt = gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s", time() + $expires )." GMT";
    $mod_gmt = gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s", time() + (3600 * -5 * 24 * 365) )." GMT";

@header("Content-type: $type");
    @header("Expires: {$exp_gmt}");
    @header("Last-Modified: {$mod_gmt}");
    @header("Cache-Control: public, max-age={$expires}");
    @header("Content-Length: {$size}");
    @readfile('/fule/path/to/movies/' . $movie);
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.