Local computer time

icekat83

Hey,

I'm trying to code a page which is supposed to bring up the time of a person's computer. Is this possible without majorly complicated coding? I'm good with GMT offsets and stuff but I don't know how to get the time of a person's computer. I don't want other stuff, just the time so I can edit the time based on where they are.

I don't know if I'm making sense so here's an example...

If someone does a forum post at 2pm Sydney time but it's 5pm Perth time. How can I make it so that someone in Perth sees 5pm but someone in Sydney sees 2pm...without them manually telling me their timezone?  :shrug:

I read about using IP addresses but don't know much (Ok anything) about this , any hints or good sites to view would be appreciated? Or the answer if it's not too complex.  :shy:

Preferably I'd like to get the time in the 11 digit "time()" format so I can use it in tables and translate it with an existing function.

IceKat

You could use javascript to easily get the users time, and store it as $_SESSION['time']. As long as you don't have a problem with users being able to change their time... or if their time is incorrect then their true location wouldn't match your function's location for them.

Better yet,

<noscript><?php echo "Server Time: ".date(format); ?></noscript>

Edit, I have to admit I haven't been fair to you. You mentioned google analytics, which made me think duh -> ip -> trace - > timezone.

$region = geoip_region_by_name($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
$zone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region($region['country_code'],$region['region']);

However this method is not as accurate as you'd like, with javascript->ajax->php more accurate, and being the most accurate: asking the user.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.