To Do List / Homework Manager

benrothwell

Hi,

Trying to build a simple homework manager for the school I am Head of ICT in, using PHP and MySQL. Currently at the design stage - so no code to share yet. But I will share with you how I intend to get it working, and the issue I have...

I anticipate having 5 tables

Table 1

Student_ID  |  Student_name

Table 2

Class_ID  |  Teacher_name

Table 3

Student_ID  |  Class_ID

Table 4

Class_ID  | Class_name

Table 5

Class_ID | Activity | Date_set | Date_due | Visible

So, at its simplest it should be possible to select from the database all classes that match your student_id and show the homework set for those. Also, I have a visible tag set so that teachers can pseudo delete homeworks using a small control panel.

But what I would like to do, is allow the students to set whether or not they have done the homework (kind of like a task in remember the milk) - but obvioulsy they cant have access to the database.

Anyone got any idea how this could be achieved?

I would change that design slightly and have a new table to store teachers e.g.

Teachers ( id, firstname, lastname, gender )

Then there is no need for your table #2

Then finally in table #4 I would add the teacher like

Table 4 (id, teacher_id, classname )

As for the homework part, I'd have this structure

Homework ( id, class_id, description, duedate )

Homework_Assoc ( id, homework_id, student_id, completed )

So you'll need a login system to allow the student to login, then have a page that lists out all their homework and let them declare when a homework is complete using something like a checkbox. In the backend you'd be inserting a row into Homework_Assoc and setting completed to 1 (or 0 if the student decided they in fact haven't completed it after declaring they had, or just delete the row instead of setting to 0).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.