Record Edit Code.

Xdega

Hey. So basically I am working on a simple project, I am no PHP expert, I only know a bit of the basics. This project is simply a "performance monitor" script. I have the parts to add records etc. I am now starting to tackle the next phase of the project that is to modify the records to give "infractions" or "bonus". I want to keep this simple and have the following fields on the edit form:

PLAYER NAME:

Dropdown List of the PLAYER_NAME column on my table called players

I grabbed this code from a different thread (and edited it in an attempt to match my table).

echo "Select a name: <select name='$name'>";
$query="select PLAYER_NAME from PLAYERS";
$result=mysql_query($query);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
$name=$row['PLAYER_NAME'];
echo "<option value='$name'>$name</option>";
}
echo "</select>";

I tried to understand it as I modified it, but aparently I misunderstood it becuase it's not working right, this gives me nothing but an empty dropdown box.

Here is a screenshot of my current "players" table, so you can see the structure and what not:

playerse.jpg

INFRACTION/BONUS

A box to add or subtract "points". I am thinking along the lines of a number text entry with a radio button for options for either BONUS(add) or INFRACTION (subtract)

NOTES

Just a simple text box for comments.

TIMESTAMP

I will do this easily with a field on the SQL table

What is wrong with the above PHP code I have for the dropdown box? Also how would I go about making this a usable form?

I simply want to create new records with all of the above data on a new table I will create called "infractions". I then want to use the data from the "INFRACTION/BONUS" Field to edit the "ND_POINTS" value on the players table.

I know the post is a little long, but I would appreciate any help and guidance you can offer in this project. Thanks.

The code I posted is the code I have for the "dropdown box".

I have no more code for the rest of the form. I am simply asking for help with the script I have posted. What is wrong with the code.?

How do I make this a working dropdown list that can be used as part of the "edit form" I am trying to achieve.

That is all I have. I posted a screenie of the table that I am using also.

The includes are just working scripts for connecting to the DB. Selecting the "players" table. and a nav bar. These parts are all working and not what I am asking for help with.

Other than the name of the select isn't going to be established since $name is further down from line 1 the code is fine. In that small section of code I can't see if you're connecting to a db before it or what tables are listed in the db. I can't help you any further.

Other than the name of the select isn't going to be established since $name is further down from line 1 the code is fine. In that small section of code I can't see if you're connecting to a db before it or what tables are listed in the db. I can't help you any further.

ok. Here is the contents of the previous Includes:

dbopen.php

<?php
$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die                      ('Error connecting to mysql');
mysql_select_db($dbname);
?>

The config is just the variables with my server info (used in the above code). Not posting that, lol

ok after looking it over try:

echo "Select a name: <select name='$name'>";
$query="select * from PLAYERS";
$result=mysql_query($query);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
$name=$row['PLAYER_NAME'];
echo "<option value='$name'>$name</option>";
}
echo "</select>";

one more thing. I am thankful for the assistance thus far.

Now all I need is help on how to make this part of a form, where I can submit data via the $_POST method and use the data to edit my tables etc. I can work on the next part. Just want assistance on how to make the rest of my form.

thx again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.