How to count days from a certain date?

Mavrik347

Hi guys, I've hit a brick wall here and am in need of your help. :(

I'm pretty new to PHP and have limited knowledge to say the least. I'll explain what it is I'm trying to do.

Set start date as 01/01/2004 (dmY) $oFour

Set how many days has it been since then? $today

Set how many days it was from $ofour 30 days ago. $today -30 = $thirtyDaysAgo

But the problem is I don't know how to make

date('z');

work from 2004 and not 01/01/2010.

So $today will be how many days it has been since the start of 2004 and $thirtyDaysAgo will be $today -30. I can set up $thirtyDaysAgo no problem but it's just finding out how to get the $today number...

Hope anyone can offer a little light to my situation :/

Mav

Check out the DateTime class

<?php
$date = '2004/10/21'; //get the start date from a form $_POST['date']

$oFour = new DateTime($date);
$today = new DateTime();

$date_of_oFour = $oFour->format('m-d-Y'); //accepts any string that date accepts.

$interval = $oFour->diff($today);
$thirty_days_from_oFour = $oFour->sub(new DateInterval('P30D'));

$days_since_oFour = $interval->format('%a days');
$days_subtracted_from_oFour = $oFour->format('m-d-Y');

echo 'Start date: ' . $date_of_oFour . '<br />Days since the start date: ' .  $days_since_oFour . '<br />30 days before the start date: ' . $days_subtracted_from_oFour;
?>

Tested.

You can still take advantage of unix timestamps to handle these types of problems.

// Current Unix timestampdefine('SECONDSPERDAY', 60*60*24);$nowTS = time();// Your old date$oldTS = mktime(0,0,0,1,1,2004);// Date of your old date - 30$oldTS30prior = date('m-d-Y', $oldTS - (30 * SECONDSPERDAY));$daysSince = ($nowTS - $oldTS) / SECONDSPERDAY;echo 'Today:' . date('m-d-Y', $nowTS);echo ' 2004 date: ' . date('m-d-Y', $oldTS);echo " -30 days: $oldTS30prior ";echo " Days from 1-1-2004 to now: $daysSince";

My host is hopeless and refuses to do his job and update PHP.

gizmola that works great. Could you explain the variables and the

define('SECONDSPERDAY', 60*60*24);

Part?

I think your doing it in how many seconds since 2004-01-01, what's the reasoning behind that? Is it possible to do it with days?

With your help, I have done it :D

define('SECONDSPERDAY', 60*60*24); // 86,400 seconds in a day$startDateTime = "2007-04-16 19:47:00";$startYear = substr($startDateTime, 0, 4); // Get join Year (2007)$startMonth = substr($startDateTime, 5, 2); // Get join Month (04)$startDay = substr($startDateTime, 8, 2); // Get join Day (16)		$oFour = mktime(0,0,0,1,1,2004); // Get 2004 time$now = time(); // Get the current time$exactDaysSinceFour = ($now - $oFour) / SECONDSPERDAY; // Convert 2004 time into exact days$daysSinceFour = round($exactDaysSinceFour); // Round exact days$thirtyDaysAgo = $daysSinceFour - 30; // Take 30 away from todays days since 2004 to find out what it was 30 days ago$joinTime = mktime(0,0,0,$startMonth,$startDay,$startYear); // Get time character joined corporation$exactJoinDay = ($joinTime - $oFour) / SECONDSPERDAY; // Convert join time into exact days$joinDay = round($exactJoinDay); // Round exact daysif ($joinDay < $thirtyDaysAgo) {echo "Access Granted";} else {echo "Access Denied";}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.