php cookies being messed up by htaccess??

turkman

I have a huge anonymous posting board, which relies on cookies to keep track of people. Everything works fine except for logging out. When i print_r the cookie i can see the following.

When i log out the cookie is reset ... i can go to pages like www.mysite.com/page.php - but as soon as i go to a site with a modrewrite it goes back to the old cookie.

ive tried setting cookies with the ending "\" however this does not seem to fix the problem.

I believe the problem comes from the login cookie is set in the mysite/login/ tab and it checks for the cookie in the mysite.com/index.php tab.

i dont know whats wrong. I clear my cookies and go to the site.  get a new cookie say for eg cookie1 i browse around the normal pages and the rewrite pages and it always displays cookie1 -> i login and it sets the cookie to the database cookie. now say its called cookie2 -> i can go around and view all the pages and it displays as cookie2 which is what i want! thats great! Then if i logout, it will redirect to a non mod rewrite page and show as cookie3 This is great, i can look though any non rewrite page and it will display as cookie 3. However as soon as i go into a mod rewrite page it changes back to cookie2 and now all pages no matter if they are mod rewrite or not display as cookie 2

I would consider looking into sessions also, but not your customary $_SESSION well not fully atleast, im thinking more of a database driven session, where you can keep the sessions going with the ip/browser check and you can still give it an expiration like you could your cookies. But thats just a thought I know not everyone wants to jump from cookie to session, let alone cookie to database driven sessions. I think it might be a worthy move though for you, or at the least something to look into for maybe down the road.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.