Check field content depending on other field entries

keyboarder

(Another quite newbie...)

I have already an online booking form. The Form works fine now and I would like to add on one more issue, but the code ignores what I want to check. I have 4 fields: arrival, departure, no. of persons and comments to check.

Scenario 1:

All field mentioned above are emtpty: Workes fine and message appears: "You have not provided any booking details".

Scenario 2:

If arrival (date_start) and departure (date_end) is entered, there should be at least an entry either in the field "comment", or in the field "pax". If not, there should be a message: "You have not provided sufficient booking details".

INSTEAD: The booking request is sent, which should not be the case.

The code is currently:

# all fields empty : arrival, departure, pax and comments - error

if(empty($data_start) && empty($data_end) && empty($pax)&& empty($comment)){

exit("You have not specified any booking details to submit to us.

<br>Please use your browser to go back to the form.

<br>If you experience problems with this Form, please e-mail us");

exit;

}

#If arrival  and departure date is entered, there should be at least an entry

either in the field "comment", or in the field "pax".

if(!isset($data_start) && !isset($data_end) && empty($pax) && empty($comment)){

exit("You have not provided sufficient booking details.

<br>Please use your browser to go back to the form.

<br>If you experience problems with this Form, please e-mail us");

exit;

}

The form can be tested at http://www.phuket-beachvillas.com/contact-own/contact-it.php

Can someone please check and tell me what's wrong with the code ? Thanks to anyone for any hint.

This isn't doing what you think it is:

if(!isset($data_start) && !isset($data_end) && empty($pax) && empty($comment)){ 

If $data_start is set (IE. if the user did input a start), !isset($data_start) will return FALSE.

Therefor, if the user inputs a start date and/or an end date, your "if" is ignored (because you have FALSE && FALSE && TRUE && TRUE  which equals FALSE which means: do not follow the "then" look for an "else").

What you want is:

if (!empty($data_start) && !empty($data_end) && empty($pax) && empty($comment)) {

Whenever possible, it's good to conditionalize the "accepted" input, and make the default action (if all the if statements are ignored) an error message. That way if there's a mistake in your if statements, the result will usually be an error message.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.