IP Information

Kryptix

Not so much of a programming problem as such but if I add the ability to recover accounts via IP address, is it possible to spoof an IP address? Is it a bad idea to automatically allow a user to reset a password if their IP (according to PHP) matches the IP that created the account?

What if the member's ISP hasn't put them on a static IP address (as is usually the case)?

Or if someone else is on the computer  of the member?

Not really worried about that I was just wondering if someone could manage to spoof another IP through header modification or whatever to trick PHP?

Spoofing aside, IP addresses change. That alone makes it a terrible idea to try a system such as you've described.

It would be a recovery process, just a part of the overall process but all I'm interested in is whether or not it can be spoofed.

Not so much of a programming problem as such but if I add the ability to recover accounts via IP address, is it possible to spoof an IP address? Is it a bad idea to automatically allow a user to reset a password if their IP (according to PHP) matches the IP that created the account?

Yes. Yes.

To be perfectly honest, you sound like your trying to do this as an attackers point of view. It seems like you know a system which does this and you are trying to trick it.

However, to answer your question, yes you can spoof IP's, however, that's not to say you will receive any data back through that IP address as you are not that machine. Spoofing an IP would be just sending out Data from your machine and in the packet headers you would be IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX instead of YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.

You cannot receive the data back from the spoofee, as it were, unless you are on their network.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.