determine if file name has 2 dots in it

Smudly

My uploader allows the following file formats:

jpg

pdf

gif

png

I tested that if someone was to name a file configure.php.jpg, my uploader allows it to upload

I want to do a check to see if the user has 2 extensions, and if so it will not allow them to upload.

I was thinking of just checking if the file name has two "." (dots) in the name. What function could I use to do this?

Or .. is there a better way?

Or you could make sure the filetype is an actual image or pdf file!

$file = $_FILES["file"]["type"];

if(($file == "image/gif") || ($file == "image/jpeg") || ($file == "image/pjpeg") || ($file == "image/x-png") ||

($file == "application/pdf") || ($file == "application/x-pdf")){

// do upload

}

else{

// display error

}

you could also use a switch statement if you prefer.

Thanks for the tip.

I forgot to mention the uploader also allows .doc or .docx files

When echoing the type of file this is, it displays:

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document

Does this sound right?

If so, I'll just include this as well in the code you provided:

($type == "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document")

It's fairly easy to craft a file that when checked returns a 'safe' and expected mime type but actually contains php code and if it is ever executed as a script file allows a hacker to take over your site.

The best solutions are to both check everything you can about an uploaded file and to also put it into a location where it cannot be directly requested and/or where the php language engine has been disabled, and of course, never allow an uploaded file to be included or eval'ed by your code.

Yes this is a very good point, I have an upload script for images which users can upload their image files,

the problem is that the dir is CHMOD777 to get it to work other wise the file is rejected and php throws an error.

This is because my hosts server has it set to SAFE MODE ON. This is a major security problem so I disable the php engine in a .htaccess file just for this directory. I know this is still not a fail safe method.

If you have any other ideas which might help please share them!

Thanks!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.