Trying to automatically detect and parse encoding or content type from e-mails

imekul

I have piping set up, where when I send an e-mail to a certain address, a script executes.

This script will parse the e-mail and will post the body of the e-mails (along with a picture, if attached) to a blog.

This all works okay, except the problem I keep running into is when I send from different devices (desktop, Android phone, BlackBerry), the e-mails have different character sets or encoding.  So one e-mail will show up just fine, and then the body of another will look something like this:

--90e6ba6e83a0846c8504926b9478

Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

This is the content of the e-mail.

--90e6ba6e83a0846c8504926b9478--

So what I'm wondering is if there is any way to detect the charset/encoding and automatically decode it properly?  The only solution I have so far -- and I'm not very good with PHP, I'll admit -- is to just "hack" my way through, by using stristr() to see if the body contains certain characters (like "ISO-8859-1"), and then extracting the text that is in between, say, "ISO-8859-1" and "--".

Of course, this is very crude, and has many problems on its own.  So what I am looking for is if there is some sort of way to automatically get the body of an e-mail in plain text, regardless of whether the e-mail has an attachment, how it's encoded, or what mail client was used.

Thanks for your time!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.