PHP/MySQL Search (like Google)

rklockner

I am developing a portion of a site for a client.  He has an 800 page pdf document that he would like the software to search based on client input. 

When the user searches, he would like it to display a Google-esque search results page that would display a title (Probably the chapter in which the result was found), then an excerpt from the text surrounding the matching keyword(s).

When the user clicks the link, he would like it to take them to the page where the match was found.

A big drawback is that this document will be changing fairly regularly and will need to be updated.  Initially I thought I could store the pdf in a database as text/html with each page being a record in the table, but with frequent changes, I fear this would be a nightmare to manage.

My only other thought is to store the file as one big entry in a table and search the entire entry, which

I have done some searching and have come up with some options, but when you click it loads the entire db entry.  This would create issues with an 800 page document.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.