connect to mysql db function

mds1256

I have created a function to connect to a required database with a username and password.

I have called this db_openConnection()

Now for each function that requires a select from a database is it ok just to call the db_OpenConnection() first within the function or should i be keeping open a db connection (using persist, i think) rather than keep creating a connection.

I know that the connection ends when you have finished a query any how.

Not sure if this is the correct forum or if it should be mysql forum

No it doesn't. Where did you get that information from?

A connection remains open until you specifically close it or until it is automatically closed when the script execution ends on the current page request.

No, the connection ends when the script finishes. You should connect to the database once, then run all needed queries. Edit: PFMaBiSmAd beat me to that response.

Rather than a function, you could create a db class. Then just have a method in the class to run a function. When that method is called the class will check if a db conneciton is already open. If so, it runs the query. If not, it opens the connection before running the query. That way a db connection is only opened if needed and you only need to open it once per page.

You could do the same thing with a function, but that would require using a global variable for the db connection. But, there are many db classes freely available - no need to reinvent the wheel.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.