Checking if user is currently downloading a file

Smudly

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to determine if a user is currently downloading a file from my website.

The way my site works, is the user waits 30 seconds and views an ad. After the timer is up the download becomes available.

I heard that I could probably use a timestamp or something of the sort. I've read up on it but not sure how I could go about this.

So you're the one with those annoying ads!  ;D

I think I understand this correctly.

1) User views ad.

2) Ad displays for 30 seconds.

3) Download option starts.

4) User leaves page! (joke)..

Not sure about tracking the download real-time, but getting a start and end download time should not be too difficult with date() and time() php functions. These values could be stored in a table, and you could be email notified or otherwise when the download completed or started.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.