CMS software

rwwd

Well seemingly the powers that be want me to use that to use as a start point for our 'new' system, though I shall hide it in the filing cabinet for a while until they forget they asked; meanwhile I shall have written my own, crafted together from lots of coffee and head scratching!

Never herd of blackboard either...

Rw

I have heard of Moodle and others, installed it even I think to get a good grasp in e-Learning before writing my own. The project is in my drawer with some other ideas of mine... for 2 or more years now. Probably to see daylight when I have some time off :)

In all fairness though I really think you should do some research see what else their's on the market both commercial and open-source always ask yourself: buy, download and extend or build?

A few months back the company I work for decided to use a ticketing system as support started to get out of control. I submitted a few inquiries and browsed some open-source project our final choice landed on osTicket which did almost everything we wanted, 2 weeks worth of development time converted it to the product we needed.

If I had built it myself that would have been 2 months of development time or the same amount of money to buy what we needed.

>>If I had built it myself that would have been 2 months of development time or the same amount of money to buy what we needed.

Point taken, and yes, before I even tackle anything like this, I research it before starting it in earnest, the thing is that every time (the department) think of a new way of streamlining tasks, it seems to double my work load; at present I have 2 or 3 VB6/.NET projects that potentially could make life easier, but the killer is: I am an Electronics Development Technician first and foremost, so that comes first; therefore the s/w that they want developing will mostly be done over a few weeks at home (good learning curve, downside is that the better half keeps nagging about me spending too much time involved in work..)

Sorry for going on a bit, but it feels like a Monday for me today! Hopefully they will heed my request for an Electronics junior sometime soon, then that will help me out - once I have trained them!!

Thanks for all the advice/pointers anyway.

I have downloaded moogle and it seems to be a nice little webserver/forum thing in a self contained xampp light sort of environment.. Potentially looks ok, jurys out for now, It's Friday, and I want more alcohol.

Rw

present I have 2 or 3 VB6/.NET

*HORROR*

the thing is that every time (the department) think of a new way of streamlining tasks, it seems to double my work load

Did you tell them? If you have ways to make your work/the company more efficient you shouldn't hold back. I've never seen a manger that would back away from a proposal that would save the company a lot of money plus it shows your concerns for the company leading maybe towards a promotion :)

therefore the s/w that they want developing will mostly be done over a few weeks at home

Don't spend your valuable time on work. When I head home on Friday I leave it all behind even bright ideas that may pop-up in my mind while on the road home (my mind will keep the better ones and they'll get implemented Monday).

>>When I head home on Friday I leave it all behind even bright ideas that may pop-up in my mind while on the road home

Persistent good thoughts will always fight through the mists of a hangover, post-it-notes however seldom make sense on a Monday morning!

I often give the ISO/Quality guy things to think about for making us more efficient, I was then given a whiteboard to "Document Progess" on it, I send him a weekly email instead.

I digress, I shall worry about this particular saga on Monday when I get back to my desk, other than that, have a great weekend all...

Rw

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.