Why is this expression automatically rounding on me?

wbednarz

I am very new to PHP and programming in general. About 3 weeks into this.

I have this simple expression and some echo in my code.

$x1 = $lat_b + $lat_a1;

echo "<br>lat b: ".$lat_b;

echo "<br>lat a1: ".$lat_a1;   

echo "<br>x1: ".$x1;

$lat_b and $lat_a1 are derived from some xml extractions from a yahoo geocode api (that part works fine).

The results of the expression and echos above are as follows:

lat b: 40.402866

lat a1: 40.252590

x1: 80

Why is $x1 rounding automatically on me?

Later, I substituted the expression above with  $x1 = 40.402866 + 40.252590 ; The new result (shown below) makes sense to me.

lat a1: 40.252590

x1: 80.655456

Hard to say what's happening there. When I paste your original code block in and run it locally, it produces the correct result. Did you check the html source to make sure something isn't getting mangled somehow?

lat a1: 40.25259
x1: 80.655456

The datatypes of $lat_b and $lat_a1 were set to object. This was from the xml extraction (see example below). I added the (float) type casting attribute to the expression to fix the problem. Thanks for the help.

$xml_a1=simplexml_load_file("http://where.yahooapis.com/geocode?location={$score_capabilities_z1['si_cmp_zip']}=myapiid");   

$lat_a1= (float) $xml_a1->Result->latitude;

The next expression, which is more complicated, has a similar issue. The (float) attribute in the expression does not seem to solve the problem this time. It looks like rounding is occurning within the expression.

$score_capabilities_d1= (float) ((69.1*($lat_b-$lat_a1))^2+(53*($lon_b-$lon_a1)*cos($lat_a1/57.3))^2)^0.5;

The result of this variable should be 10.4238... Instead, I just get 10.

I am taking geocode data (latitude and longitudes from a zip code) of two locations and trying to get the distance between them.

Well done, so this is solved then!

I figured I should post the solution to this problem. When I used a carat to square (and square root) a portion of the expression, the data type would change to integer. Not sure why this is the case. I used the pow(x,y) and sqrt()  functions to fix this.

$score_capabilities_d1=round(sqrt(pow(69.1*($lat_b-$lat_a1),2)+pow(53*($lon_b-$lon_a1)*cos($lat_a1/57.3),2)),1);

The next expression, which is more complicated, has a similar issue. The (float) attribute in the expression does not seem to solve the problem this time. It looks like rounding is occurning within the expression.

$score_capabilities_d1= (float) ((69.1*($lat_b-$lat_a1))^2+(53*($lon_b-$lon_a1)*cos($lat_a1/57.3))^2)^0.5;

The result of this variable should be 10.4238... Instead, I just get 10.

I am taking geocode data (latitude and longitudes from a zip code) of two locations and trying to get the distance between them.

Well done, so this is solved then!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.