Looking for advice on possibly limiting users from hammering my php server

JeremyCanada26

I recently wrote a web app made with flash that communicates with php scripts on my web server(apache2). Like most others, I believe my web app is the end all be all and could potentially attract millions of users :D

Ok, long story short, in the long haul, there will be people using robots to communicate with my php scripts to do tasks that are in the game in order to cheat. I'd like to limit these users from hammering the server with robotic requests. I no for a fact that no human will make requests to my game more than once per two seconds or so.  So is it best for me to somehow do this type of code with php? or maybe at the apache level somehow? My flash application can detect http error status codes for each request so if any solution would cause a non standard 200, that is fine, i should be able to detect the code, and wait a couple seconds on the flash client, then do a retry hopefully

I'm lost on this one and would appreciate some help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.