can I create a "dynamic" command?

potejam

I am a newbie to PHP and don't know the lingo.  As you can imagine it's quite hard to find advice through a search engine when you don't know the terms you should be searching for!  So I'm hoping I can get some advice or leads here...

I have a website using a zenphoto photo gallery.  I've adapted the CSS/PHP though trial and error to suit my own needs, but now I am thinking of changing the set up of the web page.

I've got 10 galleries in 5 "categories", like this:

category1-s

category1-w

category2-s

category2-w

category3-s

category3-w

and so on...  each category has 2 related options...

What I already have is an index for all these categories, where a user can click on the link that says "Category1-S" and it leads to something like this ...zenphoto/index.php?album=category1-s

That works fine, but what i WANT to have is a dynamic link on THAT page that will link to the related page.  So on zenphoto/index.php?album=category1-s there would be a link that references the gallery "category1-s" truncates the "s" and adds "w" in its place, so the actual link would be "zenphoto/index.php?album=category1-w"

On the page for category2-s that link would read "zenphoto/index.php?album=category2-w" and on the page category3-s the link would read "zenphoto/index.php?album=category3-w"

The link would be dynamic and would reference the actual URL of the page in order to create the link.  I feel that this must be possible, but I don't know what it would be called, so my searches haven't found anything...

Any help anyone can give would be very appreciated!

thanks,

J

Thorpe's will work, but if you need the w's turned to s's also, then you may think of something like this.

$link = $_GET['album'];

$link = (substr($link,-1) == 's') ? substr($link,0,-1) . 'w' : substr($link,0,-1) . 's'; //if last letter is 's', then change it to 'w' else change it to 's'.

echo '<a href="' . $link . '">New Album</a>';

• 1 month later...

Problem: This had been working fine for a few days and was giving me exactly what I needed.  I was using:

$link = $_GET['album'];

$link = (substr($link,-1) == 's') ? substr($link,0,-1) . 'w' : substr($link,0,-1) . 's'; //if last letter is 's', then change it to 'w' else change it to 's'.

echo '<a href="' . $link . '">New Album</a>';

When I was on the page album/category1-s/ it changed the link on that page to album/category1-w/ (and vice versa), just how I wanted.  But then I started getting something different out of the blue.  On page album/category1-s// the link on that page instead read album/category1-s/category1-ss/ and on the page album/category1-w/ the link instead read album/category1-w/category1-ws/.  I restarted my computer and the problem was solved, oddly enough.  But then the next time I tried to work with the page, the issue returned and has stayed ever since.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

On page album/category1-s// the link on that page instead read album/category1-s/category1-ss/ and on the page album/category1-w/ the link instead read album/category1-w/category1-ws/.  

the substr solutions don't account for anything other than ending in w or s, the str_replace method would work, but only if yer certain that the match string is unique.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.