Please help me with this code fragment - inserting two fields into another table

MikeFelker

Hi and thank you in advance for helping me.  Here is the code fragment:

$sql="SELECT UserID,UserName FROM `UserValidation` WHERE UserID='".$_SESSION["UserID"]."'";

$rs=CustomQuery($sql);

$RecData=db_fetch_array($rs);

global $conn,$strUserValidation;

$strSQLSave = "INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID, UserName) values (";

$strSQLSave .= $RecData["UserID"].",";

$strSQLSave .= chr(34).$RecData['UserName'].chr(34);

$strSQLSave .= ")";

db_exec($strSQLSave,$conn);

Here is the error I receive:

php error happened

Technical information

Error type 256

Error description You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '"")' at line 1

URL www.dealwithaces.com/ACESDB/register.php?

Error file /home/debra/public_html/dealwithaces.com/ACESDB/include/dbconnection.php

Error line 36

SQL query INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID, UserName) values (,"")

More info

Call stack

File: line Function Arguments

#0. include/dbconnection.php:36 db_query 1. INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID, UserName) values (,"");

2. Resource id #10;

#1. include/dbconnection.php:47 db_exec 1. INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID, UserName) values (,"");

2. Resource id #10;

#2. include/events.php:25 AfterSuccessfulRegistration 1. Array ( [userName] => bsbnick [Password] => kaos55 [userEmail] => mike@world-class-multimedia.com [GroupID] => 1 [userActive] => 0 ) ;

#3. register.php:298 Global scope N/A

I need two fields from UserValidation table (UserID and UserName) to be inserted into table RecruiterNames (UserID and UserName), but ONLY when GroupID = 3

Thank you again for your help.

Mike

OK, someone from another forum was able to help me a bit, now there are no PHP errors.  However, it is not inserting the data into the table - just nothing or NULL statements.

Here is the corrected code:

$sql="SELECT UserID,UserName FROM `UserValidation` WHERE UserID='".$_SESSION["UserID"]."'";

$rs=CustomQuery($sql);

$strSQLSave = "INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID, UserName) values (";

$strSQLSave .= "'".$RecData["UserID"]."',";

$strSQLSave .= "'".$RecData['UserName']."'";

$strSQLSave .= ")";

db_exec($strSQLSave,$conn)

I would truly appreciate someone's help on this.

Mike

What type of DB are you using? mysql?

I've never used the db_exec function, but you can always try and echo your $strSQLSave string and see if the sytax is getting sent correctly.

This is MySql, but I am using PHPRunner to create the database and coding smaller code fragments when needed.

Unfortunately, nothing is showing up as a result of the $_SESSION["UserID"], so nothing is being written.

That is my problem.  The data is there, but this command is not working.  Is there another way to get data from a table and then write it to another table?

Mike

$sql="SELECT UserID FROM `UserValidation` WHERE GroupID=".$_SESSION["GroupID"]."=1";

printf("Selection SQL: %s\n", $sql);

$rs=CustomQuery($sql);

$strSQLSave = "INSERT INTO RecruiterNames (UserID) values (";

$strSQLSave .= "'".$RecData['UserID']."'";

$strSQLSave .= ")";

db_exec($strSQLSave,$conn

I know line 1 is wrong.  How should it be formatted to work?  I am trying to say that I want to set the value of UserID if the GroupID=1

Thanks.

Mike

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.