Links of Titles when clicked show Title & Description of item being clicked.

OldWest

I feel like a moron asking this question as it seems to be one of the most common things done with php but I cannot find a tutorial (probably because I don't know the correct wording to search under) on this specific thing..

Anyhow.

I'm spitting out a list of the Titles of my test table like so (and its working as expected):

<?php
$posting_sql = "SELECT * FROM postings";
$posting_results = (mysqli_query($cxn, $posting_sql)) or die("Was not able to grab the Postings!");
while($posting_row = mysqli_fetch_array($posting_results)) {		
	echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php'>$posting_row[title]</a></li>";
}
?>

Now as you can see: <a href='posting_details.php'> I am calling a new page, and that page contains this:

<h2><?php echo "$posting_row[title]"; ?></h2>

<p><?php echo "$posting_row[description]"; ?></p>

It's no surprise it's not working (with many variations etc), but I am only familiar with using <form> GET or POST, and these of course are not form elements, so I cant seem to call them the same way.

My suspicion (and from the research data I could find) is that I need to pass values in my link: <a href='posting_details.php'> ...

I could not get it to work, but I was trying variations like: <a href='posting_details.php?get[title&get[description]]'> but it seems like I am screwing things up even more by doing this..

Anyhow. If anyone could show me a tutorial that covers this specifically or some suggestions on the best approach to this would be much appreciated..

Well I was able to figure out a solution with just getting down and dirty with ideas... But I'm not convinced this is 1) A secure method for passing this data and 2) this is the all around best way to pass this data... Here is what I've come to now which IS working:

Can you give my your opinion on how you would do this differently?

Page 1

<?php
$posting_results = (mysqli_query($cxn, $posting_sql)) or die("Was not able to grab the Postings!");
	echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php?id=$posting_row[id]&title=$posting_row[title]&description=$posting_row[description]'>$posting_row[title]</a></li>";
}
?>

Page 2

<h2><?php $title = $_GET['title']; echo $title; ?></h2>

<p><?php $description = $_GET['description']; echo $description; ?></p>

The problem with the way I am doing it now as in my last code snippet in this post, ALL of the id title and description are passed in the url!!! Makes a very LONG url string which is gross!!

Can anyone guide me to a tutorial or just tell me plain outright if the way I am doing it is TOTALLY wrong? I am guessing I am doing this all wrong cause after 3.5 hours on google, I could not find a working answer or description of what I am trying to do.

SOS

The problem with the way I am doing it now as in my last code snippet in this post, ALL of the id title and description are passed in the url!!! Makes a very LONG url string which is gross!!

Can anyone guide me to a tutorial or just tell me plain outright if the way I am doing it is TOTALLY wrong? I am guessing I am doing this all wrong cause after 3.5 hours on google, I could not find a working answer or description of what I am trying to do.

SOS

<?php
	echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php?id=$posting_row[id]&title=$posting_row[title]&description=$posting_row[description]'>$posting_row[title]</a></li>";
}
?>

Just post the id, then on the posting_details.php script, use that id to execute another query and get all the details.

Nice. That worked perfect.. working as expected now  :)

Would you mind telling me if my code seems optimal for what I am doing or do you think there is a better method to this?

Here is my working code:

Page 1:

<?php
	echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php?id=$posting_row[id]'>$posting_row[title]</a></li>";
}
?>

Page 2:

<?php
$posting_sql = "SELECT * FROM postings WHERE id='$_GET[id]'";
$posting_row = mysqli_fetch_array($posting_results);
?>

<p>MySQL Primary Index ID: <?php echo $posting_row['id']; ?></p>

<h2>Product Title: <?php echo $posting_row['title']; ?></h2>

<p><strong>Product Description: </strong> <?php echo $posting_row['description']; ?></p>

While your code is working, it is far from well written, for a few reasons.

You should only ever query your tables for the data you need, don't use SELECT * And take a look at LIMIT

You should always sanitize user input. Using $_GET['id'] directly in a query opens all sorts of security holes. See mysql_real_escape_string.

You should ALWAYS check your queries succeed and actually return results bofore you start passing any result to functions such as mysql_fetch_*

thorpe,

I updated my script and it's working fine, but is this the best it can be in terms of security? Should I also escape the id and city_name? the id is auto increment inserted and city_name is a select box which has predefined values.. thanks for any critique.

$title = mysqli_real_escape_string($cxn,$_POST['title']); // cleans the data that is passed.
$description = mysqli_real_escape_string($cxn,$_POST['description']); // cleans the data that is passed.

$query = "INSERT INTO Postings (id, city_id, title, description) VALUES
('','$_POST[city]','$title','$description')" or mysqli_error();

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.