HELP! Can't get the data links to display but, no errors being returned

green917

Hello all,

I'm writing a page with a simple database with a table called recipes in it with a series of recipes (go figure). I want to display a list of the recipe titles in ascending alphabetical order with each title linked to another page that displays all of the information about the recipe. I can't seem to get anything to display though (not even the titles) but I'm not getting any errors returned either. It seems as if there is nothing in the table to display (even though there are 40 records there). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the code I have so far:

<?php

$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbuser = '*****';
$dbpass = '*****';
$dbname = '*******';

$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die ('Error connecting to database');
mysql_select_db($dbname) or die('Error selecting the database');

// select data from db to use
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM recipes ORDER BY title ASC LIMIT 0,50") or die('mysql_error()'.'Error: ' .mysql_errno() );
//display the data
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result));
{
echo"<b><center>Healthy Lifestyle Gourmet Recipes</center></b><br /><br />";
echo "<span class=\"recipelink\"><a href=\"reciperesults.php?id=".$row['id']."\" target=\"_blank\">".$row['title']."</a></span><br/>\n";
}

mysql_close();
?>

I starred out the connection variables but, they are all correct in my code (I'm not getting the "or die" errors)

Hey, you found the semi-colon I lost last night.  It's sitting there on your while statement. Its basically creating an empty statement, so the while runs, doing nothing until it has processed all of the rows

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result));
{  // ----------------------------------^ Take this semi-colon out

The echo's should still be executing after that, so you should get one recipe listed. View the source of the page and see if there is anything there. You might also turn on error reporting at the beginning of your script:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.