Domain Forwarding and Caching them

monkeytooth

I have a client, that wants an affiliate driven service, which is fine. However they want to offer the affiliates the ability to forward there own domains to the service and have that work as the initial affiliate id token. Now my question is. I know I can find what the domain is that the scripts I am writing run off of using $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] however I'm not to sure how that would work for a domain that is forwarded with a 301 or 302 redirect status and masked for use on the service I am building up. I want to say I could use $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']. But as I said I'm not to sure how thats going to work for a forwarded domain thats masked as its not part of the actual host conf files its landing on in the end.

Hopefully I am making sense with the above. So what would be my best choice of options to work with when handling a domain that will be masked and landing on another domain as it will be forwarded. I am only taking the inital landing with a domain and setting the tokens I need set for it to run as that affiliate and setting them in sessions and cookie and various other variables. But I guess I am just wondering which would be better for me to catch that inital landing with the domain thats forwarded.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.