addslashes() function .. cannot implement in my MySQL INSERT - Why?

OldWest

I am simply trying to use stripslashes for my mysqli insert statement, and errors are driving me nuts.. I've tried several variation and pattern with apostrophes and quotes to no avail. Should I even be using stripslashes to clean my data? Or is there a better function?

Notice: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' in C:\wamp\www\php\simple_classifieds\add_posting.php on line 57

$query = "INSERT INTO Postings (id, city_id, title, description) VALUES
('','$_POST[city]','" .  stripslashes($_POST[title])  . "','$_POST[description]')" or mysqli_error();

For reference, here is the working code:

$query = "INSERT INTO Postings (id, city_id, title, description) VALUES
('','$_POST[city]',   	'" . addslashes($_POST['title'])  . "'   ,'" . addslashes($_POST['description'])  . "')" or mysqli_error();

Please don't use addslashes() to escape data being put into a query. It is possible to use character encoded data that will allow quotes to be injected into a query that will pass right through addslashes().

This is why magic_quotes_gpc (which simply uses addslashes() internally) is being removed from php and why the the mysql(i)_real_escape_string() function exists (it takes into account character encoding when escaping data.)

See this link for a demonstration of how addslashes() can be bypassed - http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/jan/addslashes-versus-mysql-real-escape-string

Edit: And in fact there is a link in that information to an article that demonstrates under what conditions mysql_real_escape_string() can be bypassed. This mysql_real_escape_string bypass was apparent corrected in php 5.2.3 -

Since PHP 5.2.3, it is possible to use mysql_set_charset() which is respected by mysql_real_escape_string().

PFMaBiSmAd, thanks for the critique. i think i read about that deprecation somewhere on that addslashes().. the interesting thing is my form could not submit if i had any apostrophes, quotes, etc in my fields .. and by adding addslashes(), my submission would pass w/out errors.. but i guess thats even more dangerous off the top!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.