Using $row and changing values

rotour

Hi,

I'm using the following code:

<td>$row[color]</td>

and the possible values for this field are 1, 2 and 3. But I want the return to be red for 1, blue for 2, and green for 3.

How do I write it so that instead of getting a row of 1's, 2's and 3's, I change those numbers to their corresponding colors?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the reply--but for some reason it's incorrectly operating as if the value is always 3, which I'm sure it isn't, as I have other tables pulling in the same data, displaying that value correctly. Here's how I've implemented it below (the variable I'm using it on is ws_status):

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($rs)) {
					echo '<tr>';
					echo'<td width=\"150\">'.$row[ws_name].'</td>';
					echo '<td>';
					echo $row['ws_status'] == 1 ? 'one' : $row['ws_status'] == 2 ? 'two' : $row['ws_status'] == 3 ? 'three' :'';
					echo'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[ws_id].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[ws_acct_mgr].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[second_acct_mgr].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.number_format($row[fb_start]).'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.number_format($row[tw_start]).'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.number_format($row[ms_start]).'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.number_format($row[yt_start]).'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.number_format($row[web_start]).'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[agent].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[ws_mobile_type].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[carrier].'</td>';
					echo'<td>'.$row[phone_model].'</td>';
					echo'</tr>';
				}

Any ideas? Thank you again!

Using nested Ternary operators does not do what you think.

It is usually better to use a look up table (array) to map values -

$lookup[1] = 'red';
$lookup[2] = 'blue';
$lookup[3] = 'green';
//... additional key/value pairs as needed....

echo '<td>' . isset($lookup[$row['color']]) ? $lookup[$row['color']] : '' . '</td>';

does it help by changing it from $row[word] to $row['word'] by adding the apostrophe things

In answer to this by the way, not quoting the index will make PHP think you're referencing a constant. If it's not found it will assume the string value, but if you have notice level errors enabled you'll get a notice like:

Notice: Use of undefined constant foo - assumed 'foo'

Thanks so much, PFM--that did the trick. I did have to change one thing, though, which I thought I should mention here. For some reason, when I posted exactly what you posted, the <td> and </td> preceding and following the isset function did not render at all. I put the <td> in the echo line before and the </td> in the echo line after and it worked like a charm. Here's the snippet:

echo'<td width=\"150\">'.$row[ws_name].'</td><td>';
echo isset($lookup[$row['ws_status']]) ? $lookup[$row['ws_status']] : '';
echo'</td><td>'.$row[ws_id].'</td>';

Just out of curiosity, any idea why this happened? In any case, thanks again for the solution, and all for chiming in and sparing me a good deal of frustration.

One further question: if I wanted to drop a bgd color into the <td> based on its contents, like so that if ws_status below was in a different colored table cells for values 1, 2 and 3--how would I do that?

echo'<td width=\"150\">'.$row[ws_name].'</td><td>';
echo isset($lookup[$row['ws_status']]) ? $lookup[$row['ws_status']] : '';
echo'</td><td>'.$row[ws_id].'</td>';

Maybe the $row function isn't the best method of doing what I'm trying to do. I'm not tied to it if there's a better way.

Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, any idea why this happened?

LOL, I just looked at the 'view source' of what that code produces and got the same missing data.

It's likely that the strings concatenated with the ternary operator became part of the ternary statement (the leading <td> string became part of the condition and the trailing </td> string became part of the false/empty string) and only the result of all of that was returned and echoed.

In fact I just tested this by using an invalid index number with the original code. You get an invalid index error because the '<td>' string concatenated with the isset() condition results in a true value and the $lookup[$row['color']] is evaluated with a nonexistent index and produces an error.

You can use echo with commas (instead of concatenation) to get it to work properly as that separates the pieces into separate operands to the echo statement and delineates where the ternary operator starts and stops  -

echo '<td>',isset($lookup[$row['color']]) ? $lookup[$row['color']] : '','</td>';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.