Root Protection

Ninjakreborn

I have been getting a lot more client requests to protect files.  What is the easiest way to do this. 

So, basically I have tried doing it outside the public directory. There are too many things that cause

issues with this. I haven't been able to get a successfull implementation of this since I started working with this.

So I was thinking instead about password protecting a directory that is inside public view, but still get files via PHP.  Is

there a way to setup a password protected directory, then retreive stuff from that directory using PHP.

Or, a good way to put them outside the public folder. Everything I have tried to do to get a file to save outside of public view,

has not worked. It always says uploaded but the file is never there. Also, I have verified correct permission for this as well.

Instead of password protecting the directory, just deny it to everyone.  No password request will be sent, it will just deny access.  Being that PHP is the server, it can still access those files with includes.

[.htaccess]

order deny, allow
deny from all

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.