check if someone read an email

fortnox007

Hi all,

I was just thinking that it might be possible to find out if someone read an email. If someone might want to share his thoughts on the following I would be really happy ::)

The idea i had is that instead of requiring a receipt to sign, which most free email providers don't provide. Instead send an html email with an external image with a unique name for the receiver. Ones the receiver opens the email it requests the image. This probbably isn not fool proof since someone can view in plain text, but it might be a nice thought. Is there maybe a way to track how often an image is requested and perhaps from where (IP or so). Which might not be usefull since it will come from a general email provider. This idea just popped up for me and i thought  it could be nice to chat about it. If someone knows a better tracker way which is still customer friendly I would love to know : )

The idea is that in some cases it might me nice to remind someone if they didn't opn an email.

Cheers!

::)

crap that there goes my milion dollar idea.

Thing though how to know if someone checked it? I was thinking a few minutes ago to make a url to a fake image

like mydomain.com/whateveriwant/randomimage1234.jpg

Which will pop up an error page with php on it that sees the the url and puts it in a database.

Does that make sense or is there a better way. I read your wiki you send but they only tell beacon part.

-edit oh there have a way to append stuff (like:  www.domain.com/image.gif?user@emaail.com) to the image, but i am afraid that get stripped out.

edit hehe that fake url totaly messed up the regex

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.