PHP Monitor MySQL and Perform Operations at specific times

jdephillipii

I am currently working on an application to schedule conferences.  I have everything completed to create a conference including start time and duration.  The problem I have now though is how do I monitor MySQL for the conferences that are created and perform actions when the duration of the conference is up? I was looking into MySQL events but those seem to be only internal events and are not able to execute anything outside of that. I was thinking about a infinite loop that queries MySQL and sleeps for one second but thought that this might be a lot of load on the server. Any thoughts I really appreciate it.

So I guess here is the problem...I am creating this as a Cisco IP Phone Application and it needs to send HTTP request to the phones at the duration end time.  If I use cron I would not have something that monitors for new conferences being scheduled...for example what if a user creates a conference that is only 15 minutes long how would I know that it was created and run the commands when the time is up?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.