Anyway of allowing file upload and directory creation on a file system?

j.smith1981

I havent included the whole title as it wouldnt let me but I was wondering if someone could help me on this?

I know this is possible as torrentflux caters for this but unsure of where to start.

I dont want to allow file or directory uploads or creation in my /etc/php.ini file (this is turned off).

Yet then torrentflux allows me to link a torrent from an external source (using legal downloads of course  ;D) but then it uploads it on my server and creates folders on a per user basis.

How is this possible can someone give me some pointers please?

I look forward to any replies,

Jeremy.

Not sure if I understand you. File uploads are disabled but the TorrentFlux you have installed works anyways?

You're giving it a location of a torrent file and it downloads the file. As in the same thing you do when you download a file from your browser. There isn't any uploading.

Not sure if I understand you. File uploads are disabled but the TorrentFlux you have installed works anyways?

You're giving it a location of a torrent file and it downloads the file. As in the same thing you do when you download a file from your browser. There isn't any uploading.

No i dont think your understanding, maybe I didnt explain it properly.

You take a link from a result from a torrent search engine yes?

You copy and paste that into the input text box in torrentflux, it grabs the file from the link and uploads the torrent file onto the server where the torrentflux client resides, theres no other way it could work.

Its just how they get around not allowing for it in the php.ini file, in centos it has some attributes in the php.ini file that prevent you uploading files by default.

You can also use the text box above the copy link text box and upload torrent files from your remote machine.

Are you sure it actually does a file upload, rather than just send the URL to the server for download there?

If file uploads are disabled, and it works, then it isn't a file upload. It's that simple. So either the uploads aren't actually disabled (perhaps enabled per-directory) or there isn't any file uploading happening. You can check which by trying to upload something from your machine.

I am about 90% certain it does, will have a look at the html form itself and see whats going on with this.

Might give me a bit of an indiction.

I cant see any other way of it working though, just doesnt seem like good logic otherwise you know?

Thanks for your help though.

Will check throught this, as I am about again just about certain it wouldnt upload files or not sure about the make directory function, but when going through a tutorial from a book, i wasnt able to upload files to my server without amending the php.ini file.

Just thought it would also be a good one to do should a client not have access to the php.ini file you know?

Hmm will do some further looking at this once I get my login script sussed.

Does anyone else have any further info on this at all?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh ignore me, was just thinking literally as such.

Its the fact that I was so erm presuming I think the word is, when I have tried uploads before and they havent worked, trying to follow this article in a blog somewhere word by word, so it didnt fail as such (this mean the user in the blog suggesting changing the php.ini file), worked but was rather concerned about security for later apps.

About a week ago I attempted the same tutorial without and it still worked, have notified the user and said that they should change maybe parts of it so maybe you dont need to change these settings.

Thanks for your reply though!

All the best,

Jez.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.