Recursive Iterator Iterator Tree problem ??

lostnucleus

Hi

consider I have following type of directory structure inside /root

folder1

-fileName1.1

-folder1.2

--fileName1.2.1

$dirItr = new RecursiveDirectoryIterator('/root');
  $itr = new RecursiveIteratorIterator($dirItr);
  $structure ; // the type of structure i want to build store inside it
  foreach($itr as $object)
  {
  	//magic happens here
  }
  //in the end I want folowing type of structure
$structure = array('label'=>'folder1','children'=>array(array('label'=>'fileName1.1'),array('label'=>'folder1.2','children'=>array(array('label'=>'fileName1.2.1')))));

Importan observations;

a)children key is an array which contains arrays of other folder or filename;

b) filename does not have children attribute because they are leafs of tree

c) a folder without any files will be represented as  array('label'=>'emptyFolderName',children=>array()) ;  //children attribute with empty array.

I wd be really thankfull to the user whoever solved this problem , wasted a month already on it !!

thanks in Advance.

First, please don't bump! Your thread is not more important than any other in this forum. Now, on to being helpful.

I think you're approaching things from the wrong direction. The easiest way to get a nested array structure out of a recursive iterator like that is to build it in pieces with a simple recursive function (see below).  The RecursiveIteratorIterator is designed to make it easy to move over a recursive structure, in a "flat" way, which is entirely not what you want here.

Here's a recursive formatting function which takes in a RecursiveDirectoryIterator and spits out the nested array that you would like. The idea is very simple.

function array_formatter(RecursiveDirectoryIterator $iterator)
{
    $array = array();
    foreach ($iterator as $fileinfo) {
        // Directories and files have labels
        $current = array(
            'label' => $fileinfo->getFilename()
        );
        // Only directories have children
        if ($fileinfo->isDir()) {
            $current['children'] = array_formatter($iterator->getChildren());
        }
        // Append the current item to this level
        $array[] = $current;
    }
    return $array;
}

P.S. If you have any questions, thoughts, opinions on using the recursive iterators please do feel free to start other threads (and maybe ping me about them).  I'm generally more than happy to go on and on about them—anything to get more folks aware of, and using, them—mostly as penance for not finishing the documentation in the PHP manual yet.

First, please don't bump! Your thread is not more important than any other in this forum. Now, on to being helpful.

I think you're approaching things from the wrong direction. The easiest way to get a nested array structure out of a recursive iterator like that is to build it in pieces with a simple recursive function (see below).  The RecursiveIteratorIterator is designed to make it easy to move over a recursive structure, in a "flat" way, which is entirely not what you want here.

Here's a recursive formatting function which takes in a RecursiveDirectoryIterator and spits out the nested array that you would like. The idea is very simple.

function array_formatter(RecursiveDirectoryIterator $iterator)
{
    $array = array();
    foreach ($iterator as $fileinfo) {
        // Directories and files have labels
        $current = array(
            'label' => $fileinfo->getFilename()
        );
        // Only directories have children
        if ($fileinfo->isDir()) {
            $current['children'] = array_formatter($iterator->getChildren());
        }
        // Append the current item to this level
        $array[] = $current;
    }
    return $array;
}

P.S. If you have any questions, thoughts, opinions on using the recursive iterators please do feel free to start other threads (and maybe ping me about them).  I'm generally more than happy to go on and on about them—anything to get more folks aware of, and using, them—mostly as penance for not finishing the documentation in the PHP manual yet.

You have identified my problem well , but just missing one major part of it I want returning array to follow same hierarchy structure as that of direcorty iterator !! children key of array acts as a subfolder !!

You have identified my problem well , but just missing one major part of it I want returning array to follow same hierarchy structure as that of direcorty iterator !! children key of array acts as a subfolder !!

The "missing" part to get the exact same array as in your first post is a super-simple change to the example that I gave to get the ball rolling. That is, if I'm understanding your exclamations correctly: it is very difficult to decipher what you want as you're really not being clear (whether you know that or not).  The function that I gave follows the structure (except for the root item, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to include that special case) as you described it and I'm not at all sure what you mean by it needing "to follow same hierarchy structure as that of direcorty [sic] iterator !! children key of array acts as a subfolder !!"

any php genious who can solve my problem ??

Your impatience is tiresome.  Wait for replies or you certainly will not be getting any more.  Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to help you; please set the bar a little lower.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.