Securing Pages

havox

Hello everyone, this is my first post. This isn't just a simple post and leave, I'm looking to expand into this community and learn as much as I can. Well on to the problem at hand!

I decided to start with something simple as a login page and now want to expand it to make it fully functional.

<html>
<head>
<title>Deadnode.com</title>
<LINK href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>
<body>
<div style=width:150px;height:80px;position:absolute;left:40%;top:35%;
margin-left:-135px;margin-top:-50px;">

<div class="sidebox">
<div class="boxhead"><h2>Login Required</h2></div>
<div class="boxbody">
<form method="post" action="check.php">
<center><table>

<tr><td><font face="verdana,arial" size=-1>User:</td><td><input type="text" name="user"></td></tr>
<tr><td><font face="verdana,arial" size=-1>Pass:</td><td><input type="text" name="pwd"></td></tr>
<tr><td><font face="verdana,arial" size=-1> </td><td><font face="verdana,arial" size=-1><input type="submit" value="Login"></td></tr>
</table></center>
</form>
</div>

</div>
</body>
</html>

<?php
function check() {
$admin="test";
$pass="test";
if ( $_POST["user"] == $admin & $_POST["pwd"] == $pass) {
  header('Location: output.php'); }
else {
  header('Location: index.html'); }
}
?>

<?php
require('function.php');
check();
?>

This is just the code in it originally form; completely functional. I tried to use start_session() in my check() function. I know I should be using cookies, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Is it possible to use my check function as a way to block pages? I tried inserting the same code that is in check.php onto a html page, but I've had no luck with it redirecting back to my index.html page.

I'm not really sure how to do that and where it would report the error. My webserver is running off of a Debian 5.5 box.

The code you see now works fine. just when I try to insert my check function onto a page I want to secure; it won't do anything.

That's making me think you should probably be getting a 'headers already sent' error. As the very first thing in the script that you're having problems with, put this and see if there are any errors reported.

error_reporting(-1);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

Unrelated to the current problem, but any time you use a header() redirect, you should call exit() immediately after it to prevent any further execution of code in the script.

Here is one comes up now

Notice: Undefined index: user in /srv/www/deadnode.com/public_html/function.php on line 7

Notice: Undefined index: pwd in /srv/www/deadnode.com/public_html/function.php on line 7

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /srv/www/deadnode.com/public_html/function.php:7) in /srv/www/deadnode.com/public_html/function.php on line 10

Updated function.php

<?php
function check() {

$admin="test";
$pass="test";

if (isset( $_POST["user"] == $admin & $_POST["pwd"] == $pass)) {
          header('Location: output.php'); }
        else {
          header('Location: index.html'); }
}
?>

I tried using isset(). Good thing is It doesn't print the contents of the page out, but I do get this error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IS_EQUAL, expecting ',' or ')' in /srv/www/deadnode.com/public_html/function.php on line 7

function check() {

$admin="test";
$pass="test";

if (isset($_POST["user"]) && $_POST["user"] == $admin && isset($_POST["pwd"]) && $_POST["pwd"] == $pass) {
          header('Location: output.php');
          exit;
       } else {
          header('Location: index.html');
          exit;
       }
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.