Form validation problems

TrueColors

I have Gender, Date of Birth, and Captcha validations. Though they are not working.

Lets start with gender. Then captcha, then DOB.

I call the Gender check via doing if(user::isValidGender($this->gender) == FALSE) $errors[] = "Invalid gender";

"user" is another class.

The function isValidGender() is as follows

public function isValidGender($gender)
    {
        $validGenders = array("male", "female", "mtf", "ftm", "androgyne", "intersex");

if(in_array($gender, $validGenders) == FALSE) return false;
    }

When I do if(in_array($gender, $validGenders) == FALSE) die("error"); it doesn't die. It displays "Invalid Gender" which means that if it doesn't do the die() it returns true. Though it checks if the function returns false when calling "isValidGender()".

If I put the die() above the if, it dies. So it obviously is returning true, but why is it displaying the error?

This will now return true if the given gender is valid, or false otherwise.

public function isValidGender($gender)
{
    $validGenders = array("male", "female", "mtf", "ftm", "androgyne", "intersex");
    return in_array($gender, $validGenders);
}

Thanks thorpe that worked! Can you explain why my original method didn't work?

- My next problem is the captcha.

md5($captcha) is 706a335b65ce9ccabd6c683b2dec13d2

$_SESSION['ckey'] is 706a335b65ce9ccabd6c683b2dec13d2

(I echo'd them both out and they are exact)

I call the function by doing this if(user::isValidCaptcha($this->captcha) == FALSE) $errors[] = "Your captcha image was incorrect!";

The function is

public function isValidCaptcha($captcha)
{
	die(md5($captcha) . '<br />' . $_SESSION['ckey']); // This was to test and both results were the same

if(md5($captcha) != $_SESSION['ckey']) return false;
}

Even though both are the same, why does it display the error that it's incorrect?

return ((md5($captcha) == $_SESSION['ckey']) ? true : false);

That method works.

Again I ask, along with my previous issue: Why did it not work the way I had coded it?

My next issue, which is slightly different. Is for DOB. I call it the same way and this is the function

public function isValidDOB($day, $month, $year)
{
	if(($day > 31 || $day < 01) || ($month > 12 || $month < 1) || ($year >= date('Y', time()) || $year <= 1910))
	{
		return false;	
	}
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.