Need help determining best script to use

cypherja

Here is the scenario:

Members of my group turn in/donate uniform items they don't need to me...stuff that can be passed on to other members that need it.  I post these items onto our website.  A member, who needs an item, visits the site, and picks the items that they need.  After selecting everything they need, they provide only their name and maybe some comments, and submit the request.  An e-mail is generated and sent to me, listing out all the items the member has requested.  I gather the items, and bring them to the member at the next meeting.

My original plans were to use a shopping cart type script; however, I have since found out that I am not allowed a MySQL database on the server I am using!

I've seen some shopping carts out there that use php & excel, not requiring a database, but they are all trial, and have limitations of only like 10 items.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to handle this scenario?  I was thinking an html form of some type with check boxes next to each item; then, upon pressing submit, a php script sends me an e-mail listing the boxes they have checked.  Only problem with that is, having to update the php script each time I add/delete an item and it's checkbox (would have to add/delete that checkbox's name to the script each time...correct?).

Thanks for any suggestions,

- Jason

Most PHP installs do allow for sqlite, php has sqlite 2 built in, and sqlite 3 as a pdo object.

if thats still not an option, flat files altho tricky can still handle the job (Just not a huge job)

only problem with both of these, is that you define yer database file, so its not a good idea to have it within a web accessable folder (if u can store it below your web/public_html folder your in the good.

I have used sqlite2 in a number of projects, and I've been quite surprised by its speed, and versatility. although its not as powerful as mysql, most ppl don't need all the extras anyhow.

Seconded (thirded?).  SQLite is a great little tool and contains all you need for basic web database work.  It lacks a lot of the higher-complexity operations, so you may run into a way if you're trying to do complex reporting on it, but otherwise it's a great choice.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.