Accessing remote and local information

pmkas

Hi.

I was asked to make a portal to facilitate access information of the company.

There are databases in MSSQL and Oracle, and products made in PHP. NET and access to two different server files via network shares.

Also as a facilitator wanted access to the files (default documents) on the local machines of users.

I've done something, but now I'm locked in for remote access client machines.

Is there any way to do this in PHP? and using another type of language?

the objective is not to access other computer files but to display a list of my default documents (My Documents) in one tab of the portal.

The page is generated in server and i can access the 'remote' folders in that server, but when i try to access 'local' data... bang!

"Bang" like "that is an unbelievably massive security hole and cannot ever, EVER be possible"?

The only thing you can do is set an iframe's location to "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents", which may (depending on the OS, browser, and file setup) open a file explorer window inside an internet explorer window and show those documents.  Maybe.

Still though, the server can never see files on the user's machine.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.