PHP script won't run as CRON job

kristo5747

Gurus,

I have coded for my client a PHP script that performs some extensive data munging on text files he creates.

Code is complete and I have now to automate the script. Problem is that it seems to *only* run manually. I won't run as CRON job.

This is what I have tried with "#!/usr/bin/php -q" in the header of my script:

00 1  * * * /usr/bin/php -q /HDDLogs/HDDProcess.php >>/HDDLogs/HDDProcess.log 2>&1

The log file does get created but is empty. I tried removing the -q for quiet mode: no difference. Still did not run.

Apache 2.0 and PHP 5.3 is installed on this server. I fully own the directory with my code and the data files are located.

Any idea?? :wtf:

Thanks,

Al.

try php -f /HDDLogs/HDDProcess.php

Is cron logging enabled? probably piping to syslog if it is.

Does syslog show a successful run?

Your script doesn't rely on any environment variables does it? cron's execution wont load up any of your shell variables from .login, .bash, etc.

/usr/bin/php is php-cli, yes? though I dont think it should make a difference in this situation

... I'm running out of ideas

I am officially a moron. :facewall:

I had 2 includes (in a \lib directory) in my script. CRON did not known anything about these, thereby explaining why my script never ran.

I created a bash script wrapper that navigates into that directory before launching the script.

It works now.

I am officially a moron. :facewall:

I had 2 includes (in a \lib directory) in my script. CRON did not known anything about these, thereby explaining why my script never ran.

I created a bash script wrapper that navigates into that directory before launching the script.

It works now.

That was my gut feeling, that's what error reporting would have told you :)  Also, rather than a bash script you can use absolute path names for the includes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.