Adding an ENCODE to my sql insert statement

dlcmpls

I need a little help with encode.  I'm just learning how to work with ENCODE and DECODE.

I've written this sql query, which works just fine (minus the encode):

mysql_connect("localhost", "username", "password") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_select_db("dbname") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("INSERT INTO mymembers

(ID, rec_no, email, PASSWORD, firstname) VALUES('', '', 'grr@t.com', 'pass2', 'dan' ) ")

or die(mysql_error());

Now I want to try and ENCODE the password, so I wrote this query:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO mymembers

(ID, rec_no, email, PASSWORD, firstname) VALUES('', '', 'grr@t.com', ENCODE('pw101', 'key101'), 'dan' ) ")

or die(mysql_error());

But that query fails and throws this error message:

"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'pw101', 'key101')', 'pass2', 'dave' )' at line 2"

This seems to be a quotation mark issue to me.

Can anyone help me write a sql insert that will use ENCODE on the password?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry about that.  I modified my code to remove real variable data.  Here's my code:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO members

(ID, rec_no, email, PASSWORD, firstname) VALUES('', '', 'ENCODE('pw101', 'key101')', 'pass2', 'dave' ) ")

or die(mysql_error());

I've modified the variables in the connect and select strings.

Here's my error message:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'pw101', 'key101')', 'pass2', 'dave' )' at line 2

Well, removing the single quotes around the ENCODE removed the error message I was getting, but now the field in my db that should be populated is empty.

Here's my updated query:

mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "pass") or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("INSERT INTO members

(ID, rec_no, email, PASSWORD, firstname) VALUES('', '', 'boo@somewhere.com', ENCODE('pw101', 'key101'), 'dave' ) ")

or die(mysql_error());

Query runs fine, but no insert into the PASSWORD field in my db.

I'm viewing the database via phpMyAdmin.

The field for PASSWORD is empty.

The field is populated for other records that I created during testing, so I know that it's possible to insert data into that field.

If I run the SELECT statement you mention, I get some odd looking characters:

�-*��

I'm kind of at a loss now. I just set up a test table and ran it locally, and it works fine for me. Have you tried to SELECT the data from the table to see if for some strange reason it's there and just not presenting itself?

SELECT ID, rec_no, email, decode( `PASSWORD` , 'key101' ) , firstname FROM members

This is a bugger.

I ran the query you mentioned.  All the password fields that should have been populated with the ENCODE are empty.  All the other password fields that were not populated with encode do have text in them - though its mush.

I've attached a screen shot.

Any additional ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

The encryption and compression functions return binary strings. For many of these functions, the result might contain arbitrary byte values. If you want to store these results, use a column with a VARBINARY or BLOB binary string data type. This will avoid potential problems with trailing space removal or character set conversion that would change data values, such as may occur if you use a nonbinary string data type (CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.