calculate time in seconds based on time stamp.

Xdega

Basically I have recently been playing around with parsing a csv file. What I am looking to do at this point is simply take the date/timestamp (part of the csv file), which is in the following format:DD/MM HH:MM:SS.100th/s

For the sake of argument, lets say I have this in an array string called $csv[0] and the file has several lines that span the course of a couple hours. I wouldn't mind having to use explode() to breakup/remove the date or 100th/s IF that would make things a lot simpler.

So where would I start in trying to achieve this?. The result I am looking for will simply return "X Seconds". Storing this in a string variable would be a bonus, as I plan to use this to divide a separate piece of information.

Any examples or ideas would be great. Thank you.

ps:

Here is an example time from the csv file itself:

11/19 22:23:18.143

Thanks Manic Dan,

Is there any chance you could show me an example?  :shrug:

I know I may be a lil dumb. (I am very new to PHP). But I am unsure what you are saying.

I guess to clarify further the csv file that I using is about 5mb of text.

The first line is as follows:

11/19 22:23:18.143  SPELL_AURA_APPLIED,0x0200000002CA1862,"Chomi",0x10514,0x0200000000EB54DA,"Shasre",0x514,57330,"Horn of Winter",0x1,BUFF

and the last line is as follows:

11/19 23:18:45.018  SWING_DAMAGE,0x0200000004EF41E0,"Ponkyy",0x518,0x02000000050469BD,"Croe",0x518,1634,-1,1,0,0,0,1,nil,nil

It is basically the time from the server of the game (in this case WoW). I want to build a script that will be able to be used on different files. (depending on what "combat log" is uploaded). As a result the first and last time will most likely always be different.

More accurately, you probably want fgetcsv

Once you have the timestamp in a string, you need to use explode to break it into its parts.  You will have to use explode multiple times. 

Then, once you have the parts, you will use mktime[/code] to make a timestamp out of the parts. 

Once you have the timestamp representing the log file time, use time and subtract to get the difference.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.