Variable from table??

toobster

Hey,

I have a mysql table for my setups, it contains basically three fields: 'id','variable','value'.

i want to create/name a variable from a result from the database and then from another field it should give the newly created variable its value

The table is already filled with the variables i want to use, now i just want my index page to get the different variable out of the table with the value as its value. Is that even possible?

so lets say i have a variable in my table called 'header_color' the value in that table row is 'FFF'

i want my index to get all variable from the database (through a while??) with again its value as a value.

This is my thought:

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM setup");

while ($res = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){

$res[variable]; = $??my_variable??;

$myvariable = $res[value];

}

and so when i have my div for my header i want it to be <div style="background-color:#<?=$header_color?>"> resulting in <div style="background-color:#FFF> in my table under variable it has the name "header_color" and under value "FFF"

maybe i need to create an array or something i have no idea.

Hope you guys can help me.

You would be better of simply settling for a config array of sorts.....

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT variable, value FROM setup");
$config = array();
while ($res = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) {
   $config[$res['variable']] = $res['value'];
}

then using....

<div style="background-color:#<?php echo $config['header_color'];?>">

Well, you don't want mysterious variables showing up in your scripts. It will make debugging very difficult.

Its bad enough you have this $config array kicking around, but at least you'll be able to find where that comes from.

A better method might be to create a registry object, but unless you know a bit of OOP, I'm not even going to go there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.