PHP, MySql Hacking? - need advice!

Anti-Moronic

For obvious reasons, I wouldn't want any links to these sites or resources in this thread. I'd like some advice on where to find *modern* hacking techniques used against php and mysql.

I'd prefer some info on PM so that not everybody is exposed to such sites - even suggested queries for google because I'm having a hard time finding reliable information.

Also, does anybody have any advice on security books for say network (apache), php, mysql?

I doubt I'll get a pm so if I do, I'll donate $20 to charity today! lol

I've actually seen some articles on this. I wish I had them to share with you.. Mostly they were just going over SQL injections.. That seems to be the major way of doing it and there are alot of prebuilt functions to handle it. Most of them deal with simply stripping out code from input before its processed. And as far as network security goes.. DENY ALL except what you say not the other way around. That means shutting down un neccessary ports in your firewalls and setting up your network to only recognize YOUR hardware. So that even if somone was to crack your passwords.. the network would still deny them.

Lets face it nothing is perfect tho, its all about how secure the information you have needs to be.. Obvious your not the FBI or federal goverment agency and as long as your not trying to secure like client personal financial information what I've said above should be more then sufficient.

as mentioned above, SQL injections are probably the most common way to exploit a script. A large margin of the code written by novice (and even intermediate) developers usually passes user input directly to SQL queries, which is potentially very bad news. The most reliable way to avoid injection is to use only prepared statements when interacting with the database.

In novice code, lack of authentication is also an issue.  Eg accepting an object identifier from the user where these object identifiers are shared between all users, and not validating the owner of the object before using it in the script.  Extreme novice code may even allow users to log themselves in just by passing the username or user id in the url :)

In intermediate code, not authenticating object identifiers is still a huge issue in my experience.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.