Help with date() and mktime() functions

bballer

New user of PHP here! I'm using it to display entries from my MYSQL database. Image below.

levelsk.png

This is the code snippet that displays information from the 'name', 'author' and 'date' columns of my database. I learned this technique from w3schools.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM levels ORDER BY date DESC");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<td>" . $row['name'] . "</td>";
	echo "<td>" . $row['author'] . "</td>";
	echo "<td align='right'>" . $row['date'] . "</td>";
	echo "</tr>";
}

I would like to use the date() function to format the date differently. But the date() function requires that I convert my time into a timestamp. I know you have to use the mktime() function for this, but I don't know how.

Can someone show me how to pass the contents from $row[date] into the mktime() function?

Much simpler to format it in the query using MySQL's native DATE_FORMAT() function, as long as the data is stored properly (which it is).

$result = mysql_query("SELECT `name`, `author`, DATE_FORMAT(`date`, '%b-%e-%Y') as `form_date` FROM `levels` ORDER BY `date` DESC");
while( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) ) {
{
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>" . $row['name'] . "</td>";
echo "<td>" . $row['author'] . "</td>";
echo "<td align='right'>" . $row['form_date'] . "</td>";
echo "</tr>";
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.