branch:

id      branchname    postcode

then a user table

id    username    password  branch1    branch2

so far I have a select form as below which populates the select form from mysql

branch 1<select name='branch1'><p />

<?php
$branchdropdown=mysql_query("SELECT id ,branchname, postcode FROM branch");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($branchdropdown))
{
// echo '<option value="' .$row['stationname']. '"></option>'  ;
echo "<option value=\"".$row['id']."\">".$row['branchname']."\n  ";
$postcodeone=$row['postcode'];

}

?>

and then this will be inserted in mysql as below 

$submit = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (branch1, branch2) VALUES ($postcodeone, $postcodetwo)");
     echo "This entry has been added to our database";

</select>

but it only inserts the branch id and not the password, can you please tell me what im doing wrong?

Dan

Have you tried printing the SQL and looking at it?  yeah, it gives me the postcode

Have you tried running it by hand? I am a newbie, i dont understand what do you mean

What's the output of the mysql_error() function after this query fails? No errors, it adds the rest of the entries, it wont update the branch1 field

Are you sure the database table is set up properly? Yes, I have other fields in my database which work fine except branch1 and branch 2 which both using the same drop down, in branch2 I have not have the variable $postcodetwo, i changes it to $branch2 to test and it only add the id of branch and not its postcode or name

thanks for you time

Have you tried printing the SQL and looking at it?  yeah, it gives me the postcode

- He asked you to print the SQL query, not the $postcode variable....for troubleshooting purposes it's best to store the query in a separate variable instead of putting it directly inside the mysql_query() function.  That way you can echo() it to see if it contains any errors.

Have you tried running it by hand?

- Log into phpmyadmin and select the table.  You should then see an "SQL" tab in which you can directly enter the SQL query and run it.  It will show you errors in your syntax if you have any.

Adding to what Jake said:

Like Jake said: Print the QUERY, not the variables.  The query should appear well-formed.

Have you tried running it by hand? I am a newbie, i dont understand what do you mean
Like Jake said again: Run the query in the database manager directly, see if it produces any errors or warnings.

What's the output of the mysql_error() function after this query fails? No errors, it adds the rest of the entries, it wont update the branch1 field
What value is inside the branch1 field when you're done?  Empty string?  Null?  Zero?

Are you sure the database table is set up properly? Yes, I have other fields in my database which work fine except branch1 and branch 2 which both using the same drop down, in branch2 I have not have the variable $postcodetwo, i changes it to $branch2 to test and it only add the id of branch and not its postcode or name
Drop-downs have nothing to do with database tables.  It's possible you have the database column set up as a NUMBER, but you're trying to insert a STRING, and all you're getting is a zero.

You're getting a duplicate key error because you have a key on the table that's blocking the insert.

The original insert is failing, and we can't tell why, because you STILL haven't printed out the query, run the query by hand, or shown us the table definition. 

echo the query (the QUERY) and print it here.

Copy and paste the query into a query browser (PHPMyAdmin, Navicat, whatever you used to make the tables).  See what it says, if anything.

Delete all rows from the table and try again.

Do a "SHOW CREATE TABLE branch" (or...users, you have two conflicting tablenames in your post).  Show us the output.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.