can you describe/forward to articles of how a php programmer will face a project

talper

hello,

ive done alot of mashups and mixes with html/css/php and notest i just couldnt learn properly all 3 properly a-z at the same time.

i had little web development experience and i know in most places php/css+html is being seperated and done by different people.

i decided to learn php by projects, yet when faced the project i guess i choosed the css+html side also, and spent my time doing some photoshop mockup and then try and convert it to css/html. of course i faced some difficulties and quircks and while wanting to learn php i spent time scratching my head over the css stuff.

i understand that a php developer should work behing the scenes mainly and may get help from designers that will do the css and design part, yet i dont understand the job of a php developer properly.

as a php developer first, what are the steps you should do(in order) when facing a project as little/big as it may be? what should i look up at first? should i first design the database and then write the tables?

should i first make very basic html page for each page in the site(even if after a few will turn to one dynamicaly?) should i first start with simple html for the admin/editing area so i can enter to tables?

i would really like to get tips of order and maybe articles on the subject if present.

i guess im looking from a designer prespective, where i first did a simple mockup in photoshop yet i dont have enough css knowladge to do it properly and instead of learning php first, im facing alot of css problems.

maybe you need to know profound css first? (but then i guess youd be a designer first).

im just getting confused as i do have some css+html knowladge yet ive been told i should first dive to php and then go back to the first when needed.

ill appreciate any advice/articles and your knowladge.

thanks.

Design

1. Documentation: Specification

2. Create layout images in photoshop to show to client & get signed off

3. Create basic templates from design, construct images, css, etc. This is not a full website nor functional. Usually created on local machine or test domain.

Development

1. Documentation: Specification, system flow diagrams, UML (if required), design notes, database design

2. Create database

3. Construct CMS

4. Build front end using the templates created in design phase and add functionality

5. Test

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.