for-loop

RON_ron

I need to send some of the data to my php file via flash. Below in my php file I'm trying to use a for-loop to convert all the variables to php variables to prevent sql injection. How effective is this method? Please help me with your valuable ideas.

Thank you.

<?php
$conn = mysql_connect("localhost","my_un","my_pw");
mysql_select_db("my_db");

foreach ($_POST as $key => $value) {
   $$key = $value;
   $$key = mysql_real_escape_string($$key); }

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM my_db2 WHERE username = '$username'");

if (mysql_num_rows ($result) > 0){
$register = "Retry.";
echo($register);
} else {
mysql_query("INSERT INTO my_db3 (username, password, surname, firstname, company) VALUES ('$username', '$password', '$surname', '$firstname', '$company')");
$register = "Successful.";
echo($register);
}
?>

Also, blindly converting external variables into program variables is exactly what register_globals did and a lot of web sites were taken over because not only does that set the variables you are expecting but allows a hacker to set any of your other program variables to values he wants.

You should just put the result back into the $_POST array and use the $_POST variables in your code or use some other name of your choice, such as $mypost -

$_POST = array_map('mysql_real_escape_string',$_POST); // escape the $_POST array and put the results back into the $_POST array

or

$mypost = array_map('mysql_real_escape_string',$_POST); // escape the $_POST array and put the results back into an array name of your choice

If you are passing a form array element in the $_POST array, you would need to write your own recursive function to use in the array_map() statement so that any sub/nested arrays are also escaped.

Something like this?

<?php
$conn = mysql_connect("localhost","my_un","my_pw");
mysql_select_db("my_db");

foreach ($_POST as $key => $value) {
   $$key = $value;
   $$key = mysql_real_escape_string($$key); }

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM my_db2 WHERE username = '$username'");

$mypost = array_map('mysql_real_escape_string',$_POST);

if (mysql_num_rows ($result) > 0){
$register = "Retry.";
echo($register);
} else {
mysql_query("INSERT INTO my_db3 (username, password, surname, firstname, company) VALUES ('$username', '$password', '$surname', '$firstname', '$company')");
$register = "Successful.";
echo($register);
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.