stuck in a world of loops!

nade93

Hi All

i hope someone can help about to scream!

basically I am trying to do a few things with the statement below;

First i want to check if the user id exists in member_categories_position.

If it Does i want then to exclude all entries from the second statement  where member_id equals all results from the first statement

the third statement is the else statement that displays if the member_id is not present in the member_categories position.

PROBLEM - the result from the first system loops fine, however when i try and insert into the second statement (!='$memid') is produces no results and has no effect. I think the problem is that $memid is a looped result.

How do i get the second statement to say that any member_id that is in member_categories_position will not show in that statement?

$sql2 = "SELECT * FROM member_categories_position a JOIN member_users b ON b.id = a.member_id";
$rs2 = mysql_query($sql2);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($rs2)){
$memid = "".$row['member_id']."";

}

if(mysql_num_rows($rs2) != 0){
$new= "SELECT * FROM member_categories JOIN member_users on member_categories.member_id=member_users.id JOIN member_config on member_categories.member_id=member_config.member_id WHERE
member_categories.categories='$category' and member_categories.member_id !='$field'  group by member_config.member_id  order by RAND() limit 0,42";
$rs = mysql_query($new);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs)) {

echo "result excluding member ids from the first statement";

}
echo "<div class=\"clear\"></div>";

}
else{

$new= "SELECT * FROM member_categories JOIN member_users on member_categories.member_id=member_users.id JOIN member_config on member_categories.member_id=member_config.member_id WHERE
member_categories.categories='$category' group by member_config.member_id  order by RAND() limit 0,42";
$rs = mysql_query($new);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs)) {

echo "Result with all member ids";

}
echo "<div class=\"clear\"></div>";

}}

Please explain what this code is supposed to be doing.

Ken

hi ken

its all in the text really basically there is a directory listing with 6 preferential listings running off a different script that are sorted into the members_categories_position table. However I do not want the listing to be duplicated, so need to check if the member user exists in the members_categories_position table, if it does it needs to exclude them from the listings

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.